Subscribe Here

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, August 17, 2015

Discipleship: an inward and outward commitment

We can easily this work with a lot of hurt. Whether white or black, Haitian, or African we can all agree there needs to be a change some place. There are 3 scriptures I want to look at that will help give us a characterization of how we can help.

John 8:31 - So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples,-

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

John 15:8 - "By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples."

So, if we hold on to the teachings of Christ, we will learn how to love like Jesus loves, and in return we will bear fruit.  This is not just an inward acceptance in the heart, but it is a commitment on the outside.  It is going to take action to do this. So after your heart says, "Yes, I want to follow Jesus." There needs to be some changes in your life as you get closer to him. This my friends is fruit. Your life starts changing. This is the fruit of the words of God. This is what people see. That fact someone can be rude to you and you decide to love them anyway.  This is a combination of inward and outward commitment because what you do in front of people is nothing if you are not living the same life at home behind closed doors. (Matthew 6:5-7).  So if we are going to change this world it is going to require more than peace rally's, riots, and protests.  It is going to take the reconciliation of man back to God. This is why we need to be about Our Father's business over everything else in life. It is time we commit to:
 
1) abiding in God's word, 
2) loving others, and 
3) bearing fruit to show you are a disciple of Jesus